I changed the subject. "What time will I see you tomorrow?" I asked, already depressed by thethought of him leaving now.
我改变了话题。“我明天几点能见到你?”我问道,想到他现在就要离开几乎要让我沮丧起来了。
"That depends… it's a Saturday, don't you want to sleep in?" he offered.
“那得看情况……那天是周六,你不想睡懒觉吗?”他提议道。
"No," I answered too fast. He restrained a smile.
“不。”我回答得太快了。他按捺住了一个微笑。
"The same time as usual, then," he decided. "Will Charlie be there?"
“那么,和往常一样的时间。”他决定道。“查理会在家吗?”
"No, he's fishing tomorrow." I beamed at the memory of how conveniently things had workedout.
“不,他明天去钓鱼。”一想到事情居然变得如此合宜,我便微笑起来。
His voice turned sharp. "And if you don't come home, what will he think?"
他的语气忽然尖锐起来。“如果你没有回家,他会怎么想?”
"I have no idea," I answered coolly. "He knows I've been meaning to do the laundry. Maybe he'llthink I fell in the washer."
“我不知道。”我冷淡地回答道。“他知道我打算洗衣服。也许他会认为我掉进洗衣机里了。”
He scowled at me and I scowled back. His anger was much more impressive than mine.
他冲我阴沉着脸,而我同样绷着脸怒视着他。他的愤怒甚至比我自己的还要有感染力。
"What are you hunting tonight?" I asked when I was sure I had lost the glowering contest.
“你今晚打算狩猎什么?”当我确定自己已经在怒视竞赛中败北的时候,我问道。
"Whatever we find in the park. We aren't going far." He seemed bemused by my casualreference to his secret realities.
“任何我们在国家公园里能找到的猎物。我们不会走太远。”他有点发愣,因为我竟如此随意地提及他隐秘的事实。
"Why are you going with Alice?" I wondered.
“为什么你要和爱丽丝一起去呢?”我怀疑道。
"Alice is the most… supportive." He frowned as he spoke.
“爱丽丝……最能给我辅助。”他说着,皱起了眉头。
"And the others?" I asked timidly. "What are they?"
“那别的人呢?”我羞怯地问道。“他们怎么样?”
His brow puckered for a brief moment. "Incredulous, for the most part."
那一瞬间,他的额头皱了起来:“不靠谱,大部分是这样。”
I peeked quickly behind me at his family. They sat staring off in different directions, exactly thesame as the first time I'd seen them. Only now they were four; their beautiful, bronze-hairedbrother sat across from me, his golden eyes troubled.
我飞快地偷看了一眼自己身后的他的家人。他们坐在那里,盯着不同的方向,非常像我第一次看到他们时的情形。只不过现在他们是四个人,他们俊美的,红铜色头发的兄弟正和我相对而坐,他金色的眼睛里很不平静。